Shawn, Bev, and Family

Welcome to the twinhouse! Shawn and I were married in 1997 and have been blessed (yes, blessed!) with 2 sets of twins. Alexander and Benjamin were born in 2002 and Hannah and Jacob joined the family in 2004. We created this blog to keep friends and family updated on the excitement in the twinhouse.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

New Fruit and Veggies

We are very much a "meat and potato" type family and some of the children are starting to complain that I make them eat vegetables "EVERY DAY!!". So Shawn and I decided to institute "New Fruit and Vegetable Day". Every Saturday, we go over to a local produce store and pick out a new fruit or vegetable to try on Sunday. So last week, we tried avacado. The pictures below do not make it look appetizing, but they all tried it and said the liked it! Although none of them went back for seconds! I just sliced up some up with oil, salt and pepper and then mashed some to put on biscuits we had made with melted cheese. Not too bad.
So here they are showing off their new taste...

And here is the horrible looking stuff....the camera makes it look much worse because I don't remember it looking that bad when we ate it.

So today we tried mango and they really did all like that, we ate the whole thing and then dissected the pit/seed. Interesting and nutritious!
The following are just a couple of pictures I took over the last few days which I thought I would post. We were just playing around, no real stories to go with them, but I know there are a few of you who like to see pictures!



5 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger tracy and dave said...

Love the pics Bev!! Love avacado (try mashing some ripe ones up with a bit of sour cream and using as a dip for tortilla chips - they may go back for seconds of that!) Great to see everyone's up for trying new things. Love you all.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure I would want to go back for seconds either Bev if I went by the looks of it....Guess I didn't serve that to you guys either !!! Glad to see you being adventureous with your kids unlike your Mom,(meat, potatoes,veg-(corn,beans and peas)kind of Mom). Hannah and Jacob are looking so much more grown up and still smiling as much as ever..Love and hugs to you all....Grampie weir

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops !! I meant Grammie Weir

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bev- such cute pics- I know avocado can look gross but it is really yummy- also try it with saly and lime juice- very good! They are very fatty, but the good type of fatty. Would you be interested in starting a receipe blog that all of us girls can be contributers to? Christine and I were talking about it yesterday- it would be so fun, and hellpful for me I know- I still need to get you that bon bon recipe! I'm still in Montreal right now- scott's sick so we're delayed going home a day- but anyways, hope you're all doing well- kids look great!
love dee><>

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah is looking so grown up and Jacob is looking so much like his older brothers!!!

I too, love avocados! Add a little salt and devour! I don't even mash them.

Glad you are doing well and can get your kids to try vegetables. We're still working on that one!:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home