Shawn, Bev, and Family

Welcome to the twinhouse! Shawn and I were married in 1997 and have been blessed (yes, blessed!) with 2 sets of twins. Alexander and Benjamin were born in 2002 and Hannah and Jacob joined the family in 2004. We created this blog to keep friends and family updated on the excitement in the twinhouse.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Picture and Story

My mom made a comment about not seeing Hannah and Jacob in the last post so I thought I would send a little photo of them. Here are the smiling duo sporting their brother's new wellies. We have yet to find a pair for Hannah and Jacob so they were trying on their brother's instead. Alexander and Benjamin are getting quite used to the lingo here. They correct me when I say "Put on your rubber boots" by saying "Mom, they're wellies here". I asked a lady from church and she informed me that they are named after the Duke of Wellington who made them famous.



And also an interesting story...
One of the first days here in Edinburgh, I took the children to a local playground. There we met a man and his daughter. I noticed the man did not have a Scottish accent and so asked if he was visiting. He informed me that they had just moved here a few weeks prior. Here is the rest of our conversation:
Bev - So are you working here or studying?
Man-Studying, I am doing a PhD at the University of Edinburgh.
B- Oh, so is my husband.
M-What did your husband do before coming to study?
B-He was a minister.
M- Oh, so was I. What denomation do you belong to?
B- Baptist.
M- Oh, so am I. My daughter is starting nursery school tomorrow so we came here because my wife is at work today, she is a nurse.
B- No way, so am I!

We did talk a little more than that, I just filled in the uncanny similarities.
Anyhow, it turns out that their little girl goes to the same nursery as the boys do and we all attend the same church! A little weird huh??
So we had them over for supper tonight and had a great time getting to know each other a little better. It is good to have friends with whom we can share these experiences.
Their visit just reinforced that neat story of our meeting so I thought I would share it.

Sorry for the long post but one more piece of exciting news.....
Shawn has purchased the first book of his PhD endeavours. One of the professors was selling a copy and Shawn snatched it up. It is 2111 pages long, about 3 inches thick, and must weigh at least 10 pounds (Shawn says at least as much as one of our children!). He is VERY excited... just had to show it to our dinner guests. Please pray for financial help for us as this is only the first book and it will require it's own suitcase on our way home.

6 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but every good Old Testament student needs their own copy of Liddell and Scott :-)

Wade

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

If you find that you need to lose one of your children in order to accomodate the book, remember - I have lots of extra space back here! :)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Matt, Christine, Elijah, Joseph, Sarah, & Oliver said...

Congrats Shawn! I know how exciting new books can be. That is so cute, the kids and their "wellies"! Can't wait to hear more Scottish lingo:).

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger The Kohlers said...

Hey guys- love the wellies and the stories- so cool that you met that guy and that you have so much in common- and you've already had him over for dinner! You guys are awesome- keep it up- we're praying for ya, thinking about ya...
love teamkohler

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ya'll...Thanks for the picture, Bev...Jacob looks so cute with his haircut and more like Alexander all the time....Hannah ?? well, she just looks like her Dad and that's all there is to it, more every day...Such a sweetie...Love You..Mom

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger tracy and dave said...

Hi all! love to hear the gret stories...good to know you're all doing well. Charlie sends his love!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home